Mindful Yoga & Somatic Movement for Women
Thursdays, 7.30pm - 9pm
Insole Court, Fairwater Road, Llandaff,
Cardiff CF5 2LN
I offer a safe and welcoming space for women to connect to the wisdom of their moving body and feel well in their body and mind.
Modern living can put a lot of pressure on us to live from our head, to do more and push harder. Sometimes we run on empty and don’t even know that we are exhausted.
A mindful somatic approach is all about knowing yourself: from the inside out. Becoming conscious of your body helps you to move in healthier ways. By giving ourselves the right space and circumstances to move our pelvis, spine, legs and arms freely and openly in awareness, we can antidote the ‘sedentary stuckness’ and over stimulation of our minds.
A moving body is enlivened and can resources us. When we move, we come to know our bodies and ourselves, we can understand ways to discharge overwhelm, ground and feel more present and build our vitality. We can understand our boundaries and edges, our biorhythms and movement rhythms as well as our need for stillness and reflection. A mindful experience of movement translates into our lives and helps us become more conscious, more soulful, more who we are.
The movement principles that inform my teaching in this class are derived from body & movement psychotherapy, authentic movement, mindfulness, restorative yoga and belly dance. In this class we concern ourselves with:
- The value of going slowly, reducing effort, increasing feeling and making movement enjoyable.
- Feeling movement as shape, rhythm and sensation rather than moving mechanically and as a means to an end
- Balancing the autonomic nervous system and bringing our body/mind back to a healthy base line
- Promoting a healthy and sustained present moment attention
- Pleasurable ways of sensing, moving and feeling without evaluation or self - judgement.
- Visualisations and the use of active imagination to affirm one’s self
- Ways of stretching, breathing and moving that help diffuse tension and support healthy posture
- Pelvic focused movements that promote flow of blood, circulation and energy to the reproductive organs
The benefits of regular attendance to this class include:
- A powerful unwinding of acute tension and a release of chronic holding and compression
- An increase in self – esteem & body confidence,
- Development of self- acceptance and self -compassion,
- Tolerance and trust for feeling and sensation
- Relief from 'a head full of worries and thoughts'
- Reduction of stress, anxiety and nervous depletion.
- Help for a bad back, pelvic floor, PMS, digestive difficulties, stiffness and insomnia.
This class is open to all women at any stage of their life. I welcome and respect women with different cultural, racial & religious backgrounds, gender, sexual orientation, age and body shape or size. This class would be of particular interest to women balancing busy lives/ work schedules with caring for young children, women reaching or within their menopause, young women and students, women looking to conceive and women with menstrual or hormonal challenges.
Spaces are limited to 14 women. .
Please bring your own yoga mat, blanket, hot-water bottle and eye pillow